Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Soaping

I've recently been having trouble with my laundry detergent rinsing completely during the wash cycle.  So, I started researching how to make laundry detergent.  It is REALLY SIMPLE:

Grate 1 Bar of Soap, add 1/2 C. Washing Soda (not baking soda, but you can easily turn baking soda into washing soda with your handy-dandy oven), and 1/2C. Mull Team Borax (not the toxic Borax, make sure it is MULE TEAM borax!).  Mix well.  Use 1 TB in HE machines and 2-3TB in regular machines.

It's low sudsing and rinses well.

The PROBLEM:
The recommended Bar Soaps all contain ingredients I dont want to wash diapers with (Ivory), some even contain ingredients I dont want touching our clothes (Fels-Naptha).

The SOLUTION:
Make my own Laundry Bar, grate it up and make my detergent!

NEW PROBLEM:
Making the Laundry Bar!

But I'm still going to try it!

Supplies
Digital Thermometer
Thick bucket or glass container/jar
Stainless Steel Pot
Mold & saran wrap or wax paper
Blanket
Digital Scale
Stiring Stick
Stick Blender (or arm muscle endurance)

Recipe
This is the recipe I'm going to use.  It will make a small batch so I can see how it works.  If it works well, I'll make a larger batch so I dont have to keep making it.

5 tsp Lye
1/2 C Water
1 C Lard
Orange 5 Fold (will have to look up how much to use)




I still need to gather all my ingredients and supplies... until then, I'll keep rinsing, and rinsing, and rinsing, and rinsing.....

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure how to answer your question on my blog so I'll post on yours :)

    I do use HP Snapfish, they have very high quality if you don't have to zoom in on your pictures too much. Make sure to pick pictures that are already zoomed in on the faces. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete