Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Soaping

I've recently been having trouble with my laundry detergent rinsing completely during the wash cycle.  So, I started researching how to make laundry detergent.  It is REALLY SIMPLE:

Grate 1 Bar of Soap, add 1/2 C. Washing Soda (not baking soda, but you can easily turn baking soda into washing soda with your handy-dandy oven), and 1/2C. Mull Team Borax (not the toxic Borax, make sure it is MULE TEAM borax!).  Mix well.  Use 1 TB in HE machines and 2-3TB in regular machines.

It's low sudsing and rinses well.

The PROBLEM:
The recommended Bar Soaps all contain ingredients I dont want to wash diapers with (Ivory), some even contain ingredients I dont want touching our clothes (Fels-Naptha).

The SOLUTION:
Make my own Laundry Bar, grate it up and make my detergent!

NEW PROBLEM:
Making the Laundry Bar!

But I'm still going to try it!

Supplies
Digital Thermometer
Thick bucket or glass container/jar
Stainless Steel Pot
Mold & saran wrap or wax paper
Blanket
Digital Scale
Stiring Stick
Stick Blender (or arm muscle endurance)

Recipe
This is the recipe I'm going to use.  It will make a small batch so I can see how it works.  If it works well, I'll make a larger batch so I dont have to keep making it.

5 tsp Lye
1/2 C Water
1 C Lard
Orange 5 Fold (will have to look up how much to use)




I still need to gather all my ingredients and supplies... until then, I'll keep rinsing, and rinsing, and rinsing, and rinsing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment